Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Struggling with a software

I have been working on the second part of my project few days after i presented the first at ASU conference. When I was at that conference, one of my judges gave me a brilliant ideas of how to quickly realize the second part of easily. he showed me the NCBI website where i can get the sequences of my bacteria ready to be used. He also showed me a software called CLUSTAL W which i can used to build my phylogenetic tree. when i started the experiment, I had trouble finding the same 16S sequences for all the bacteria in the right format. After many attempts,  and after been very consistent, I finally get the same 16S for twelve bacteria out of fifteen. For the other three bacteria, (pseudomonas mirabillis, staphilococcus epidermis, Proteus vulgaris) I could not find any 16S at all. Now that I get the sequences, I need to aligned them in order to build the phylogenetic tree. This was my biggest struggle. Everything that I try did not give me any result. They all came out blank saying there was formatting errors. This means that I am not putting the sequences in the proper format and I could not figure out the right format. I looked online and I tried everything i got from but it did not work. I asked help from my mentors and apparently they have not used this software before so they was unable to figure it out too. I was stocked on this software for almost a week trying to figure out how to do. After many research and many attempts, I finally figured out the proper format in which you need to submit the sequences in order to get them aligned and then build the phylogenetic tree. It was a very though week for but i was glad that it ended happily.
After that i knew how to use this software, I was very amazed about all the other things you can do using this software. I found it very cool and useful.
Below is the fruit of my struggle--- my beautiful tree

No comments:

Post a Comment