Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Another conference

I came to lab last Friday and I was told by Matt that by Matt that we have to go to another conference at Estrella Mountain Community College. So, we need to submit an abstract and it was due on the Monday following the Friday he was talking to me. The good thing for is that I don't have to write a whole new abstract but I just need to add and modify the old abstract that I already have. This is because I am continuing the second part of my project which consist of extracting the DNA from the bacteria I used in the first part of my experiment and sequence the DNA to have a sequence of the base pairs and then be able to compare these sequences to find which bacteria is related to which one. So, this was my task in the lab this whole week.
Due to many reasons and the short time I have ahead of me before the conference, I can not be able to do the actual DNA extraction from the bacteria and send them to a place for sequencing. But thanks to my judge from the ASU conference who showed a website where I can get the 16S rRNA for most of my bacteria and also he showed another software that I can used to build the phylogenetic tree. So, I spent the whole trying to find the 16S sequence of the 15 species of bacteria that I am using. I used the NCBI website to find these sequences and I searched for the FASTA format of these sequences.
After several hours of research and after being very consistent, I found the 16S rRNA sequences for 12 bacteria out of the 15. The bacteria sequences that I was able to find are: Salmonella, Bacillus subtilis, Enterococcus faecalis, Enterobacter aerogenes, Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Staphilococcus aureus, Micrococcus luteus, Providentia stuartii, Serratia marcescens, Streptococcus mutans and Streptococcus salivarius. The three that I could not find are a consistent sequence for are: Pseudomonas mirabillis, Staphilococcus epidermis, Proteus vulgaris.
Honestly, I found it very awesome that we can we have access to those sequences online by simple clicks. It really helps save times during your research.
For the ones that I could find a sequence for, I asked my mentor Matt to give the opportunity to do the actual DNA extraction and sequencing of these bacteria. So, now I am looking for primers for these bacteria and he is going to place an order of these primers and then I can be able to start. The sequencing part is not to be done here in lab because we do not have a proper equipment so after DNA extraction and PCR, we will it to a company for sequencing. I am very excited to do such experiment and be able to find the sequences of the 16S rRNA of these bacteria.
Below is the screenshot of the 16S sequences for Salmonella from NCBI website. Just to give you guys an idea of what the 16S looks like and how to find it.



No comments:

Post a Comment