Thursday, January 24, 2013

Phylogenetic analysis of 15 bacteria based on morphology and metabolism

This project consists of determining the cell shape of the bacteria(bacilli or cocci) and the gram(positve or negative) of the bacteria species. And also through biochemical tests, determine which bacteria is closely related to which. I started the project by inoculating 15 individual bacterial cells onto a Petri plate. These different bacteria are: Salmonella, Bacillus Subtilis, Enterococcus Aureus, Staphilococcus Epidermis, Micrococcus Luteus, Proteus Vulgaris, Providencia Stuartii, Serratia Marcescens, Streptococcus Mutans, Streptococcus Salivarius. First I did the gram staining of these bacteria and determine their cell shape and the gram. After that, I proceeded to a bunch of biochemical tests such as catalase test, oxydase test, glucose fermentation, mannitol fermentation, lactose fermentation, tryptone broth, TSB with 6.5%, TSI and the blood agar. For each fermentation test, I have to test for gas and acid so I did like 145 tests and I can tell that it was not easy at all. After all these tests, i put my results in a spreadsheet and interpret them. Hierarchical cluster analysis and median-joining phylogenetic analysis were used to interpret the result. I used a special software to do the phylogenetic trees. Right now, I am in the process of interpreting the result and I also have to reconstruct the trees and draw them in a simple and meaningful way. So, for the next two weeks, my task will be to draw the phylogenetic trees, interpret the results and then put together a poster for my presentation. This is a really good project because it thought how to deal with bacteria, how to do gram staining of bacteria and how to perform all these biochemical tests.It also helped me know how to use special software to analyze statistical data. This project really gave me a hand on working in the lab.
Below are some pictures of my tests and gram staining slides.







No comments:

Post a Comment